Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tell Me A Story....

So I had a nightmare. I was awake the whole time, you know. I was just telling myself the story of what my preferred future might look like, when a terrible alternate story took over. The Nightmare Bard attempted to narrate my least preferred future. It was a future filled with negatives notions, clammy fears, and bitter irony. Optimism and hope were the first casualties. What a brazen daylight sortee! What a wicked stab at commandeering my very own internal monologue!

But maybe you could help, here. What do you folks do about night terrors, (even those like mine that happen in broad daylight)? What remedies were tried on you? When the little ones in your loving care cry out in the night, how do you help? I thought about this. How about sitting close and telling a story, until the tight feeling goes away, and the damp brow dries?

For example, once, Janet was afraid to go to sleep at Grandma's house. Grandma engaged the help of then student psychologist-in-residence, Uncle Marty. He thought a gentle story was the perfect medicine. So, Uncle Marty told little Janet the story of Don Bosco. According to this particular narration, Don Bosco's appeal to little ones was his amazing ability to turn white milk into chocolate milk! Can you imagine such greatness? And Janet's response to this effort at soothing? "Nothing helps, Grandma."

You know what would chase the Nightmare Bard away for me? Would you tell me a Don Bosco-type story? What I mean is, please tell me a story about a time when you experienced a moment of greatness. What was it that made it a moment of greatness? (And thanks for turning on the light in the hall.)
Love you, dear Nematodes,
V

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

o sorry to hear of your nightmare!
I can relate on many levels!
Various episodes..
Different degrees of intensity
Common ingredients:
anxiety/fear of future things-consequences of bad decisions/judgement
fear of something I have no (real y or perceived) control over


THE SAME SOLUTION TO ALL FEAR/ANXIETY/NIGHT TERRORS:
(AS TRITE AS IT MAY SOUND)....JESUS!
When I was younger, and had "terror attacks" my mother taught me the secret weapon: REPEAT, "JESUS I TRUST YOU" until you believe it. Believe me when I tell you that there have been many a night/day when this took time to convince myself that all would be well if would just trust in Him.
Another piece of the answer to internal peace: live in the moment- funny, not realizing this, didn't our Lord tell us to live in present?
So, my favorite God mother, as I took this moment to reflect on your predicament, I find myself forced to admit that I have neglected to live the life that God has called me to -PUT HIM FIRST.

I suppose if you were to share this with an athiest, the only thing they might get from it is to live in that very moment.
Carrie Underwood sings a song called, "Jesus Take the wheel" I don't know if it 's one you ever heard, but it reminds me that there's always a comforting song/music to soothe the troubled soul....when the kids were younger, sometimes I sit in the hallway outside their rooms and play the flute..(when more than one of them were having trouble sleeping b/c of nightmarish images tormenting them..they'd even request it on occasion...

Sometimes rationalizing- forcing oneself to face reality-NOT PERCEIVED reality- works too
Finally, humor works very well- I think that's one reason why God sent Bill my way- He has an uncanny way of comforting with humor
Does this help? What other pearls of wisdom did you receive?
If you think this would help anyone, feel free to share it
I love you, Aunt Nemo
May God grant you His loving Peace today and always!
Patti

Anonymous said...

yes i remember "nothing helps grandma" like it was yesterday. i was missing my mommy very much and nothing helped, not even eating breakfast on tv trays in front of the color tv.

i have night terrors and day terrors. i'll tell you a story, in the late 90's my blood pressure skyrocketed which put me into a panic attack. my chest hurt and i couldn't breath (oh aunt stasia where were you with your happy pills when i needed you?!). I lay in my waterbed trying to relax when my lovely lori came in. she lay next to me and in her beautiful sweet voice sang me all the songs from the play Annie while playing with my hair. she actually pulled me out of a panic attack. That simple remedy is something i'll never forget just like "nothing helps grandma" .

i was thinking of DB and when we were kids and he would rake up the yard and burn the leaves. smelled so good - believe it or not they still burn here. oh how i loved your yard and running around in it. so many wonderful memories, especially "lynch specials" and double scoop ice cream cones after a day at the ocean. that certainly made the walk down to the beach worth it. think i'm going to have good dreams tonight with all this reminiscing.