Monday, September 8, 2008

Progress

Dear Folks: Things are looking up. Here's a word of encouragement. Just returned from a fast weekend trip to Orlando. What's changed? Seems the JetBlue seats have gotten bigger and the seat belts are more generous. Oh wait: am I smaller around?

Well, last time visiting FL, in late April, I was using a little electric scooter chair to get around because I couldn't walk very well. I also needed a cane. Pain management was hit and miss, and I was eating "lefty." Every struggle issue of April past has improved. Rejoice, folks! Rejoice for us all! With your help, I'm walkin' around like a trooper. The secret? Same as yours: just keep swimming. Say, don't tire of your good work. Steady trembling knees. Strengthen weary hands.

How are you folks doing? Are you giving Team Nemo a try still? Send us all an encouraging word. The new school year has started. Lots of schedules have changed. But do let's try to make that goal and join each other in January. That will be a victory worth a medal, whether or not we cross anyone else's finish line.

Speaking of which, this weekend three of us reached an intermediate goal of significance to us: we are now light enough to ride a Segway! We had a short trial run. FUN!! It was a prize! Losing those particular "Segway pounds" meant so much. High 5s to the three riders in the wind!

Tell us, have you reached any special goals on your way to January's 5K? We could all use a good narrative from you.
With love and blessings,
Avec amour et joie,
V

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Talk about inspiration to just keep swimming!
I’m “swimming in school work” but have vowed not to drown in it and miss out on family life. This year, Mr. September threw a curve ball in the form of a teachers strike. So, I’ve got more family time than I bargained for. After a few stumbling anxiety-induced binges, I’m back on the wagon; refocused and embracing the unexpected challenge—so some days I might have to “just tread water” but I’ll get there and stay afloat.

So, you checked out Disney, ay? You got to use a segway ay?! JetBlue added fabric to their seatbelts, did they?! J CONGRATULATIONS AND JUST KEEP SWIMMING!

Thanks to your inspirational update, I’ve got renewed commitment to just keep swimming---no more binging!
Congratulations and Support to all of us on Team NEMO!
Love,
Dori

Anonymous said...

i'm so proud and excited for you!!!!! it's with the good Lords help and a ton of work and perserverance that you're walking around like a trooper!

unfortunately i haven't been doing well. my blood pressure has been out of control - 190/110 and that's with my pills doubled. after taking a xanax along with the bp meds i got it down to 149/77. haven't taken it yesterday or today but will tomorrow. dr. gave me a new beta blocker and i had to double that so i'm hoping it's working. very frustrating, i was doing so great and then all of a sudden i feel like i'm falling apart. i'll get it all under control and once there i'll start my walking routine again. i've been afraid to walk too much because it was making my pressure go up and my heart was racing like a race horse. today was the first day i haven't been out of breath in about 2 weeks so i'm sure that's a good sign. i would feel so comfortable if i were near my cardiologist in ny. if i don't get things under control i think i'll be taking a trip.

love to all and keep swimming!!!!!

Anonymous said...

REJOICE!! I'll get back to you l8r, I'm too busy to type all my excitng thoughts of praise etc for you and all the Hurleys-I type this with utost sincerit: PRAISE GOD! THANK YOU FOR HEARING OUR PRAERS AND SPOILING US!
God Bless Auntie Nemo!
run4fun2

Natalie said...

I echo the kudos above. Congratulations! That is a huge accomplishment, from scooter to walking, wow, you must feel wonderful and should be very proud.

Love,
Natalie

Anonymous said...

GUESS WHAT!
Less than two weeks ago, I couldn't walk without a limp, three weeks ago, i was having trouble sleeping through the night b/c of pain/injury
august 2TH-EXACTLY 8 MONTHS TO THE DAY that i broke my toe, I ran for the FIRST TIME WITHOUT A LIMP!!!!
AUGUST 30TH, i began running 10miles+, and I have felt like my stride is coming back (80%)-still a long way to go to be the runner I was/want to be, but I'M RUNNING!!!!! THANK YOU LORD!
I never did anything beyond registering to run the Disney Marathon, because, quite frankly, I didn't know if I were ever going to walk normally again! The other contributing factor was that Michelle's coach had informed me that she had a competition that weekend. THe schedule came out this weekend, and SHE competes the following weekend-so, last night, at 10:45, Bill and I booked out trip to DISNEY!!!!! We used points earned to pay for most of the trip-so we'll be staying at the GRAND FLORIDIAN. We arrive 1/7, and go home 1/12
Is it too late to get NEMO shirts?
My laptop crashed in July, and I lost everything- all that information related to NEMO shirts, contacts....
BTW: (it's still in INDIA being repaired!) (manufacturer's defect!)
So, I'm scared and excited at the same time! I'm not even sure where the marathon begins! I thought Animal Kingdom, but that may have changed- one thing I know- IT STARTS AT 6:00-THAT MEANS I WILL BE THERE PRE-DAWN HOURS AWAITING THE START! YIKES!!!
well, I've got to run! :)
It's great to say that-and be able to do it!
LOVE,
FOREST GUMP